Friday, January 6, 2012

From Tragedy to Triumph!

This book is dedicated to my darling wife, Snooks, who has been a source of encouragement and blessing to me. She has stood with me through many "hard" times in life demonstrating the faithfulness of her love to God and me. She is my best friend and a faithful co-partner in ministry. I love her very much.

Do you ever feel like life isn't fair? Do you constantly think, "If circumstances were different I would be much better off in life"? "Much better off" is usually defined as more money and more happiness.
The author, Bruce J. Bender, found himself in the same situation. Born in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Pennsylvania, losing both mother and father at the age of twelve, he definitely had many questions about the meaning and purpose of life.
Deciding to do something that he felt was "worthwhile" he entered the Marine Corps where he was disabled in Vietnam.
He met a lovely young woman and decided to live a life of happiness with her, only to find himself on the verge of a divorce five years and two children later.
Later on he was involved as a pastor of a church but found the pressure too overwhelming.
This is the story of how all these "tragedies" were overcome. The author invites you on a journey with him to learn some very important lessons in life. These lessons are not purposeless but are meant to take you from a life of tragedy to a life of triumph.

Bruce resides in the Tampa Bay area in Florida with his lovely wife, Snooks. They are the parents of three children who are now grown with families of their own. Bruce and his wife were involved as pastors in a number of churches in the past. They are founders of Anointed Rivers Ministries, Inc. They are involved in preaching, teaching, and ministering both in the United States and overseas.
Bruce is a graduate of Elim Bible Institute in Lima, New York, holds a bachelors of science degree in Christian Ministries from Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Virginia and a masters in theology from Life Christian University in Lutz, Florida.

Introduction

Growing up as a child in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Pennsylvania I never thought that I would be doing the things that I am involved in today. My wife, Snooks, and I have the pleasure of traveling all around the world sharing about God's great love. It is so wonderful seeing lives transformed out of a meaningless existence to ones of meaning and worth. What an awesome privilege!
I came from a family that was not overly financially wealthy. We were not the most respected family around. Matter of fact, I felt we were looked down upon by many of the "respectable" people that lived in the area. We had a reputation of getting into trouble.
As I grew up I didn't see myself as very handsome or talented. In my estimation, I was a slightly under average person. I thought that I would get a job working in a factory or going into the military when I was old enough. I felt like I really wanted to achieve something great in life and yet thought that I wouldn't because I had too many things against me.
The Vietnam conflict was going on at the time and so I joined the Marine Corps hoping to accomplish something in life. While in Vietnam I was injured and lost my right hand, part of my left hand, and partial loss of my left eye.
The injury caused me to have an even lower estimation of my self-worth. I felt that, now, I really didn't have a chance of doing anything that would be of great value. What I forgot to take into account was that God had a plan for my life.
He wanted to give me a life that was full and rewarding. He had created me for greatness. Although many circumstances pointed toward a life of tragedy, God wanted to give me a life of triumph. This is the story of how that transpired. May your life be enriched as you read this book and travel with me on that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment