Thursday, July 15, 2010

TRUTH THAT HURTS BUT HELPS.

When we come to a place in our life or society where we cannot give or receive truth we are in danger. We are instructed not to tell others anything that might hurt their feelings. Yet many of those who are trying to control us with this type of thinking go about saying whatever they want. It is a devious work of the enemy trying to stop truth from being spoken.
The Bible states that there are times when friends may say things to us that may hurt our feelings but in the end it is beneficial for our own welfare. Proverbs 27:6b states "...but faithful are the wounds of a friend" NIV. Nobody likes to be wounded. It hurts. It is uncomfortable. But in the end we will benefit from the advice given to us if we receive it and act upon it.
I do not enjoy confronting others with words that I know might hurt their feelings but as a friend there are times I need to speak them. I will pray over the situation for some time before I would share with any individual.
We need to also check our attitudes when involved in such a situation. Ephesians 4:15 states that we need to be, "...speaking the truth in love" NIV. That means that when I go to speak to another person I will be patient, kind, not envious, not boastful, not full of self-pride, not rude, not seeking my own selfish desires, not angry, and not going with a list of things that the other person did that was wrong. I will go with an attitude that seeks truth and not with rejoicing in evil. I will also go with an attitude that wants to protect the other person and trust them. I must go with an attitude of hope that will cause me to want to persevere so that the person or relationship can be restored. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7). If we will do this, according to Ephesians 4:15, "...we will in all things grow up into Him, Who is the Head, that is, Christ" NIV.

No comments:

Post a Comment